It’s Halloween and I am really looking forward to this digital trick or treating. #stayathomeandcook
Sleepy Hollow Cocktail
Scarry Drink by Kai
You will need a large pitcher, a pot, lots of ice cubes and one tumbler glass per person:
Ingredients per person:
- 60 ml of Tequila or Mezcal
- 60 ml pomegranate or cranberry juice
- a couple of dashes of orange bitter (Agustura for example)
- 1 dash of cinnamon or stick
- sparkling water to fill up
- Zest from 1 Orange
- 1 Spring of fresh Rosmary
- Cinnamon sugar to rim the glass
Beetroot & Pear Rocket Salad with Blue-cheese and sweet Vinaigrette
Brought to you by Nicole @picknickuntermapfelbaum und Florian @liebstduumschönheit
- Cooked beetroot (the vaccum kind)
- 1 Ripe Pear
- Rocket Salad
- Blue-Cheese of your liking
- Salt & Pepper
VPP - Vegan Pumpkin Paella
I will be helped on the evening by the fabulous VJ duo VJzoo. Just because i am really into that stuff at the moment I will be making the Paella on an open fire. (If you want to do the same I am cooking on a Kamado Joe, but webber etc. will do just as well, and I will be lighting my fire about an hour before we start so I get a nice and even heat) You can also do it on a regular oven. I happen to have a not very good commercial Paella pan. If you don’t have a Paella pan no problem and pan with an ideally large flat area will do. I will cook the paella like I learned it in Mallorca and it does not really involve concrete measurements. Mine will be vegan, but if you like to add anything you like the way to cook it is always the same so feel free to improvise.
- Bomba Rice (This is most likely the most important ingredient to get right, I would say around 200gr per person, but it usually comes in 1kg packages which should easily feed 6-8 people. If you can not find Bomba rice Risotto Rice will do as well although not quite the same.
- Pumpkin, well its Halloween after all we need some pumpkin. Any kind you like, but the more orange the more halloween it’s going to look. I would guess 80gr per person. and if you want to prepare it in advance cut it in ca. 2cm squares
- Good olive oil Enough to keep the pan greased multiple times.
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 1 Red Chilli for those that like a bit of kick in it.
- Garlic, I would have at least one hole bulb at hand, if you want to peal it before and great. I tend to crush and cut it just before putting it in a pan, But you can also prepare that if it makes you more relaxed on the evening.
- Brussel-sprouts (a handful) You can take something else if you like I am just looking for something with a contrast look and color to the pumpkin. If you want to prepare wash them and take of broken outside leaves if there are any and cut in half.
- Button brown mushrooms. (a Handful) Pretty much for the same reason as above. I would not wash but clean them dry and cut in half.
- Salt & pepper to season, well as always.
- packet of Paella Seasoning, if you can not get that anywhere get some Safran, a teaspoon of smoked paprika, half a teaspoon of sweet paprika and half a teaspoon of turmeric and that should do the trick just nicely.
- 1 onion or shallot, minced (equivalent to 1-1½ tablespoons)
- I like to ass some fresh thyme
- enough silver foil to cover your pan
I hope I did not forget anything, Paella is a bit about knowing the principles and a lot about improvisation. but I will explain more on Halloween.
Nobody put their hand up for desert yet. I will most likely do another round of cocktails. and might throw a pineapple for my vegan guests into the ashes of the Paella fire. Please let me know if you would like to take on the desert part.
Looking forward to cooking with all of you on the scary 31st of October in the most horrible year in recent history.